Problems Using Nightly Builds for Flex 4 SDK

Yesterday, I encountered bug where a TextInput would no longer correctly receive focus if its text property was programatically set. I checked for the issue, but couldn’t find anything about it. As a final check before reporting a bug I decided to try a nightly build to see if the bug had been indirectly fixed.

I downloaded the 06/27/09 buid (8344) from here and followed these instructions (look about halfway down the page) to have multiple SDKs installed with Flash Builder, which hasn’t changed from Flex Builder 3. Everything seemed to go smoothly except that when I created a new project and specified the nightly build SDK, Flash Builder threw the dreaded cryptic internal build error. I tried cleaning about a dozen times. I tried setting the permissions on the new SDK folder to match the original 4.0.0 SDK. I even tried redownloading the SDK zip thinking that maybe Safari screwed it up while automatically unzipping it. Nothing I tried worked.

Adobe’s on vacation this week, so I didn’t get any response from my contacts there, and no one here at effectiveui has encountered the issue. RJ Owen was gracious enough to let me try installing the nightly on his machine, where I got a different and less cryptic error similar to the error Ed Syrett reported here. To work around this I copied the netmon.swc from the original 4.0 SDK that installed with Flash Builder and everything worked okay. In Ed’s post he pointed out that you can disable network monitoring which would have been a better solution since I’m not using that feature at the moment.

Back on my own machine, nearly out of ideas, I created a new Flash Builder workspace and added the nightly build SDK. This time when I created a new project I got the netmon error, but not the IBE. This time around I suppressed the netmon error by unchecking “Enable network monitoring” on the projects compiler options and everything worked fine. As it turns out, the TextInput focus error has been fixed, which more or less makes this hassle worth while.  The only remaining problem is that any projects that are using the original 4.0.0 SDK in the new workspace seem to get the IBE if you clean them.  RJ says he was able to resolve this by restarting Flash Builder and cleaning the projects again.

Take aways:

  • You might want to create a new Flash Builder workspace if you’re messing with the nightly builds.
  • Adobe’s working pretty diligently to address the issues they’re finding internally and that we’re submitting to them.
This entry was posted in Flex 4. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  1. Posted July 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

    Try restarting Builder after you change the SDK …the build error should go away and everything should work fine after that.


  2. Posted July 1, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

    Posted that too soon .. read the last line of the post after I posted that comment :)

  3. Posted July 1, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

    Yeah. Restarting FB worked to make the 4.0.0 projects not have the IBE, but I still had to use a new workspace to make the nightly build work.

  4. Posted July 1, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

    I’m hearing from other people that they’ve had success using nightly builds by just restarting Flash Builder. So, maybe start with that and if it still doesn’t work then try a new workspace. Maybe I’m just cursed.

  5. Posted July 1, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

    Yep – that’s the same TextInput issue I spoke to you about at Flex Camp, glad to see it’s been fixed!

  6. Posted July 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

    Thanks to Matt Reynolds for sending me a link to the bug I described. I somehow missed it amongst the other 1215 bugs that were returned when I did a quick search for “textinput focus”.

    As of today (07/01/09) it appears to still be an open issue, but I can’t reproduce it in build 8344 so it must have been indirectly fixed. I dug around in TextInput, TextBase and UIComponent a little trying to track it down with no luck. I wonder what fixed it. Maybe I’ll diff the two SDKs and see what changed.

    UPDATE: Matt just found this bug which sounds spot on, and it’s be closed as of build 7952. Somebody at Adobe’s got their hands full tracking down duplicate bugs that people aren’t researching enough before posting. I was almost one of those people. I need to better at Jira I guess.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>